These were some of the biggest stories in the automotive industry the week of February 29, 2016.
Something missing? Tweet us at @CarStory or shoot us a message on Facebook. We’re listening.
- MoneyTalk thinks there’s never been a better time to buy a used car; New York Daily News announces that it’s the ‘smart thing to do.’ We agree.
- WIRED has ranked the wildest cars from the Geneva Auto Show.
- Morgan is going to start selling roadsters in the U.S. again!
- Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne suggested that Apple should hire a traditional car maker to build its long-rumored vehicle. Take the hint, Apple.
- According to a new study, Ford trucks are the top target for Texas auto thieves. Uh oh.
- Toyota’s released a concept car made of wood?
- Honda’s still talking about cars as mobile payment platforms
- Get ready for the world of hackable cars!
This week in apps:
- Journey-sharing app Jaunt won the Ford Mobility Game Prize. Stay tuned for CarStory’s exclusive interview with app-designers Ilya Zarembsky and Betsy Medvedovsky.
- Stealth start-up JUNO is trying to dethrone Uber; we think it’s the next ello
- Uber launched a motorbike service in India. Next up, pedicabs in Austin?
And in self-driving cars…
- 75% of Americans are terrified of the autonomous carocolypse / our robot car overlords
- Self-driving cars can be worse for carbon emissions says always cheery Vox Media
- Google self-driving car hits bus – sends world into tizzy, “Do self-driving cars get to decide who dies?!”
- Nissan’s revealed their self-driving car
- Goodyear’s launched the Eagle-360: spherical tires specially designed for autonomous vehicles
In electric and hybrid vehicles…
- India introduces car sales tax to combat pollution
- Low oil prices are slamming electric cars in the U.S.
- Yesterday’s hybrid car will be tomorrow’s Energizer battery
And last but not least, checking in on the life and times of Elon Musk:
- Tesla Model 3 invitations have gone out for their March 31 debut event
- The $7500 tax credit might disappear in 27 days. Bummer.
- Someone’s designed a Tesla pick-up truck!